Monday, February 21, 2011

Still Snippy About Snaps

I'll take the blame.

Following up on yesterday's post about image distortion in Second Life, I did some experimenting to see if other viewers have the same bug. Midway through testing with the Alpha release Phoennix-Firestorm viewer (Web) it occurred to me that I was using a 1920px x 1080px (HD spec) window yet I was setting the snap size to 2048px x 2048px, the size I use whenever I have the viewer set to fill the screen on my 27" iMac. This must have forced the water in the scene to show its tile pattern, remove shaders, and other nasty things that I've seen in other pictures. Trying the same shot with the size set within the window size limits, everything was fine. /me slaps her own wrist ...

That will learn me, I guess. Reminds me of the time I was given a camera by someone and took their word for it that there was film inside. After that fiasco I was hard pressed to ever grab any camera without checking for tension in the rewind knob, even if the the camera back had a film canister ID window. From here on out I'm going to do my best to shoot with the viewer maximized and checking all the snap settings at each setup, even for casual pictures.

No comments: