Friday, February 24, 2012

Long Awaited Feature

A Received Items folder is something I've wanted almost since starting with Second Life. It could be a powerful tool for keeping one's Inventory well-managed. Fortunately, the feature is almost with us, as you can read here on the official blog.

Right now, incoming items go to the system folders for each item type: clothing layer items to the Clothing folder, scripts to the Scripts folder, etc. If someone sends a flock of goodies to you one-by-one instead of packed in a prim or transferred in a whole folder, the items spread themselves scattershot across your Inventory. Judicious use of Filters and the Recent tab can help manage the mess, but how many folks do that?

This may replace my Objects (Sort) folder, the place I dump all my new acquisitions until I have a chance to look at them. I also use folders called *NEW* in my Body Parts and Clothing folders to hold new (obviously) items until I can use them, ensuring they don't get lost in the multitudes where I can forget I have them without ever wearing them at least once. I don't know if we'll be able to manually add to the Received Items folder or not, but that would be wonderful if we could. I look forward to trying this innovation. Now to go back through the JIRA to see if my years-old feature suggestion is still there or not ...

No comments: